Short Stories

The Zephyr Christmas Files, Part III

Read [Part I] and [Part II].

Part III. White Christmas

E-MAIL SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 6:49:23 AM
From Ling Chan to Darby Chan, Avery Chan

Merry Christmas, Darby and Avery!

I hope you are having fun and learning a lot this winter break. I miss my grown-up girls. Please email me back soon and tell me how you are doing and if everything is fine. I saw cheap tickets for flights over Spring Break – if you want, let me know and I can book them for you.

Love, Mom

MARGARET’S JOURNAL

The Five Things I Learned This Christmas Eve

1. Darby’s high school crush was Adrian Stark. I can make fun of her for wanting the same last name as Iron Man.
  2. Adrian’s best friend is Loren Eastwood. He writes music.
  3. Loren is “coffee guy.” I guess his hit album is yet to come.
  4. I am a bumbling fool when it comes to talking to men.
  5. Cream puffs are vicious when they come at you at 5 (10?)+ MPH.

MESSAGE SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 7:21:09 AM
From Darby to Adrian

I hope the chocolate came out your hair. So sorry (kind of).

MESSAGE SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 7:21:43 AM
From Darby to Adrian

Oh, and merry Christmas!

GROUP MESSAGE SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 7:25:41 AM
From D-Chan to Juki, Mags

Merry Christmas crazy kids! Do you think we’ll get expelled?

GROUP MESSAGE SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 7:27:25 AM
From Juki to D-Chan, Mags

I think… you’ve got a cruuuuush.

GROUP MESSAGE SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 7:28:30 AM
From D-Chan to Juki, Mags

Grow up Jansen. Back me up here, M.

GROUP MESSAGE SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 7:30:12 AM
From Juki to D-Chan, Mags

She’s probably busy chatting with Loren.

GROUP MESSAGE SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 7:30:52 AM
From D-Chan to Juki, Mags

Mags + COFFEE GUY?!

GROUP MESSAGE SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 7:32:32 AM
From Mags to D-Chan, Juki

Jansen lives vicariously through the (perceived) romance of others because he can’t ever find a date.
(Merry Christmas guys)

GROUP MESSAGE SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 7:33:12 AM
From D-Chan to Mags, Juki

I hope that’s the opening line of your autobiography about us.

MESSAGE SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 7:33:49 AM
From Adrian to Darby

Merry Christmas Darby! If I’d known you would be at Zephyr this year, I would’ve gotten you a gift. I have something cool to show you though. Are you free after dinner? (Don’t worry, the chocolate came out. Took three shampoos.)

GROUP MESSAGE SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 7:35:35 AM
From Juki to D-Chan, Mags

I don’t have time for dates. I’m busy saving the world.

E-MAIL SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 8:28:23 AM
From Yi Chan to Darby Chan

Merry Christmas Darby! I hope you still remember how to ski. Remember when we went six years ago? Enjoy the time with your friends.

See you soon!

ADRIAN STARK SHARED CONTACT [DARBY CHAN] WITH LOREN EASTWOOD.

DARBY CHAN SHARED CONTACT [MARGARET LEWIS] WITH LOREN EASTWOOD.

MESSAGE SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 8:43:23 AM
From Darby to Adrian

I’m in!

E-MAIL SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 10:24:12 PM
From Darby Chan to Avery Chan

Dear Avery,

Merry Christmas! Please respond soon or I really will stop writing. (Who am I kidding? You’re my outlet for everything).

I spent the whole day out tramping in the snow with J and M. I was afraid I’d get frostbite but we never have white Christmases at home so it was worth it. We came back to the lodge to complimentary hot chocolate and s’mores. I have to say, I’m grudgingly impressed with this place now. I thought we depleted their dessert supplies at the Christmas Eve dinner (a story for another time).

So, in keeping with our tradition of comparing gifts, I’ll bet I beat you this year. Here’s my countdown:

A free vanilla latte from the coffee counter (his name is Loren! He’s Adrian’s BFF)
A fancy moleskin journal from Margaret
Photo book of our college years from Jansen
This wasn’t really a gift but…

Adrian asked me to meet him after dinner (I know, this is what you’ve been waiting to hear about). We hiked up to this grove of trees on a small hill. It wasn’t far from the cabin, but something about that place felt really high up, almost like we were in the stars.

The stars—Avery, I haven’t seen stars like these in years. I’ve been in the city too long. There were so many, it was like sand on a beach turned upside down, poured across the sky in bright lights. And there was this colorful glow: green and blue and even some orange.

I know what you’re thinking, but there’s nothing happening between us. He just wanted to show me, and said it’s a good place to get away from people and think if you need to. (Does he think I need to? Does he think my friends are crazy? Probably.) It’s funny, he treats me almost the same way he did in high school. Like a little sister. It was awful then, but it’s nice now. “Boyfriends are easy to lose, but brothers stick closer than glue.” Remember that? It’s weird that as I get older, I realize things that I once laughed at are actually pretty true.

Darby

E-MAIL SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 10:40:15 PM
From Darby Chan to Ling Chan

Merry Christmas, Mom. I’m fine and having a good time at Zephyr. Don’t worry about Spring Break tickets. I’ll look at them later.

Love,
Darby

E-MAIL SENT ON December 25, 2015 AT 10:45:15 PM
From Darby Chan to Yi Chan

Merry Christmas, Dad. I don’t really remember how to ski, but I’m doing it anyway. Hope it’s not too cold at home.

Love,